Thursday, January 19, 2012

What I've Been Up To...

The last month (technically since the beginning of the year) has brought a lot of work, but none of it on the house we live in. I've spent most of my time working on the rental, which I'm hoping to have on the market within 10 days or so.

A lot of the work has been incredibly boring, and things that pictures don't describe well. For example, cleaning windows that most likely last saw windex when I was in high school and adjusting doors so they can open and close freely again. As of today, the living room and dining room are complete.


The fixture in the dining room still needs to be adjusted to the right height and I need to get some candelabra bulbs for it.


The living room looks a lot better with new lighting, blinds and the ugly old furnace removed from in front of the fireplace.


Behind the furnace and some sheet metal was the cast iron fireplace surround. There was probably a center piece, but it's long gone. One of the bricks was loose, but there was nothing behind it.

A new window is on order to replace the old, rotten one in the kitchen. As boring and hard on the eyes to look at, the kitchen will remain more or less unchanged aside from new blinds and a coat of paint. Bigger changes are coming later, and a 1/2 bathroom will be added under the stairs in space the pantry occupies right now. Today I fixed the last of the plumbing leaks, so water has been turned back on.


At some point I'm going to need to do something about the outside... a new coat of paint is in store for the place sometime soon. I'm not going to be doing this since I'm not a huge fan of hanging around on a ladder all day and the person next door shared the name of the painter he went with and how much it cost him. The brick path in the picture above is old. Exactly how old, I have no idea but from the 3in of dirt that was sitting above, my guess is that it's been covered up for decades. The brick matches what was used around the bottom of the foundation.

Major things still left to do are finish up putting in new blinds, finish redoing the bathroom, put new flooring in the laundry room, do some painting and redo the landscaping. At least the yard is small so that won't be too much of a chore!

No comments:

Post a Comment