Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Living Room - Day One

I still have more work to do on the cars, but at this point I'm waiting on parts to come in or help to install them. Rather than waste a day I decided to get started on the entry way. If nothing else I could get the tile removal out of the way and see what condition everything below is in.



The tile never stood a chance. The cement board extended to 4 inches from the end of the tile. There was no adhesion after that point. Never apply tile directly to hardwood flooring...



One thing I quickly noticed was that when I tried to lever with the bar against a tile to remove it, more often than not the bar sank into the top layer of 3/4" plywood. Things must be seriously bad in order for that to be rotten. It looks like something that was installed when the tile was around 2002.




Here you can see the cement board, the light colored plywood underneath, and below that the original, gray plywood subfloor. This stuff can't support weight of any kind and I had to cover the area with new plywood so no one will fall into the crawlspace below.



The mold problems were so bad that it grew up in between the pieces of backer board to get at the thinset used to install the tile. I pulled up enough pieces of the three types of subfloor to get an idea of what I'm dealing with, and I'm leaving the rest for a few days from now when I'll just take it all out with a saws-all. This should be EASY to do. The only major issue I see with the living room will be removing and numbering pieces of the hardwood flooring. Beyond that the structural work is straightforward. Remove the subfloor, install new piers, the beam and new joists and then install good quality vapor barrier in the crawl space before putting in new subfloor material.

At that point the plan is to move on to wiring, then I get to take on the kitchen... Pictures are going to start getting really interesting from this point onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment