Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Living Room... Day Two

Today I continued taking out the short entry hallway. I thought that the saws-all blades I bought that were for wood + nails would take out backer board too, but that's definitely not the case. Maybe my nearest friendly Lowes/HD sells some better ones...


Now there's a hole in the floor about 4 feet long, running between the first two joists. I wanted to do more, but the hole is still small enough to cover with a scrap piece of plywood and it's nice to not have to worry about the cat disappearing into the crawlspace. The joists look a lot better in pictures than they do in person. All of them are getting replaced. You can easily dig in 1/4 inch into any of them so their strength has been compromised - not to mention the fact that they're covered in dried mold from ages ago. They all need to go.

It's a lot safer (translation: less scary) to hold a camera down into the hole and take pictures of what's going on down there...

















View looking forward towards the front door



View looking to the right, towards the original bedrooms. I knew there was one location with improper foundation repair, but wasn't expecting two (or more?). It looks like the beam I'm adding under the living room will need to extend to the end of the house. Not fun... I was hoping that my days of digging piers from underneath the place were done but by my count I get to dig four more.



View looking left towards the living room. I'll be spending time under this room, pulling out the rotten subfloor in an attempt to remove the flooring in there without damaging it.



View looking back towards the kitchen and addition. The main beam is visible in this picture, along with a vent for the cooktop. I plan on venting the new cooktop through the roof instead.



Another view of the hole I cut... Hopefully the entire area will be cleared soon. In light of the extra foundation work I get to do I'm not sure what I'll work on after the hallway. I'm tempted to dig the extra footings now while the weather is still nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment