Sunday, February 1, 2015

October

In the month of October I worked only on doors. The remaining ones that I had to install went up, all the stuff for the front door arrived and it was time to figure out how to make it and put it all together. It actually wasn't that hard. Given known dimensions of a standard front door I was able to take measurements from a picture and use those to figure out how large and where the windows should be. Then all there was to do was cut them out and finish the door.

To do that I needed a router and a guide. The best guide for this sort of thing that I could come up with was to clamp dimensional lumber and run the router against that. It gave straight, repeatable cuts every time. I took out only 1/4" of material at a time so this took a while. Once I had actual window sizes I was able to take those to a local glass company to have windows made. While waiting I stained and finished the wood. All of this made a huge mess with tons of sawdust flying around everywhere. Of course I did all of this in the dining room so there was a lot of cleaning to do.



No comments:

Post a Comment