Thursday, April 11, 2024

The End of The First Big Project

The post I thought would never happen... the first major project at this place, finally finished. Here's how the last part of it happened.

After going on way too many tours of homes I ended up with a huge thing for lighting. It doesn't take a whole lot to make a big difference in a place. At least one or two places had toe kick lighting so I had to learn how to do it myself. It's not really that hard. LED strips, a transformer, some low voltage wiring, and there you have it! Unfortunately there's a gap in there because it's impossible to install at the dishwasher. 



Not very visible when it's light out but I installed more LED strips underneath the shelves in the pantry that I made. It would have been a lot easier to see if the doors were open, but the inside of the pantry isn't exactly the nicest thing to look at so let's just pretend that it's all organized in there. Pantry doors are actually just closet doors that I ordered online. They can be used for all sorts of things and have held up great after being used for 10 years!



Did I mention that I like lighting? I've done cove lighting in every room that it made sense in and it makes a huge difference. This is just LED rope lighting on a dimmer and has been used easily 5 days out of the week for a decade now without complaints.



I also finished up the new front door early in the year. Mostly finished.... I never did put varnish on the trim pieces around the windows after staining them but they held up well enough until I refreshed the door much later.



Wrapping the exposes LVL that used to be hidden above the ceiling with veneer was the final piece of the project. To do this I bought some walnut veneer and gave it a couple coats of water based polyurethane. It matches the kitchen cabinets pretty well, and looks a lot better than a painted beam would.



The old and the new


And, done! Merry Christmas



No comments:

Post a Comment