Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Creative Title!

I've managed to make a bit more progress within the last few days towards finishing up the bathroom.

The shower area has been waterproofed completely. I took this before removing the spout to the tub, but everything looks pretty much the same. Redguard is kind of a pink color before it dries.


Most of the work involved with getting the window back together is done. The sashes are back in but I ran into a problem getting the trim back on. Once upon a time the walls were plaster and lathe until someone reworked the bathroom more or less 30 years ago. Under the trim it was a bit thinner than everywhere else on the wall; much thinner than modern sheetrock. When someone reworked the bathroom they left the trim in place and ran shetrock up against it, so now the trim sat nearly flush with the wall. It looked terrible.

Because that wall is sheetrock, if I wanted the trim to sit the way it originally did I'd have to remove it all and put plaster back up. That's not about to happen. My only other choice is to put the trim on top of some sheetrock, but that leaves a gap between the window frame and its trim. Tomorrow I'll cut some filler pieces to fill that gap, and finish them to match the window trim.

This is what it looked like when I left. At least the window sashes are back together and they go up and down freely. All four weights are attached for the first time in decades and it actually works pretty well. I still think that reworking old wooden windows can come out a lot better than buying new ones, as long as they were decent quality to begin with.

No comments:

Post a Comment