Saturday, April 7, 2012

Shower Complete... Almost

Today I spent about half the day working on the shower. It's almost complete and already it looks loads better than before. Tiling a room that's nowhere near level is a real challenge but the shower is coming out better than I expected.



The blue tape is there to deal with a small problem called gravity. The diamond pattern really doesn't work well when one end is open (rather than against a wall or a window frame) because our friend gravity tends to pull the tiles apart. The blue tape is doing a remarkably good job of holding everything in place long enough for the thin set to harden. I stopped where I did purely because I got to a point where I really couldn't build much any more until things dry. On the wall on the left in order to build I need to take the tape off, which would make a mess of things. On the other wall I was able to put in the mosaic, but can't have anything weighing it down until after that area dries so one row of tile was all I could do.


Snowy didn't do much to help out today... he mostly got in the way by lying down where I wanted to walk.

All tile work should be finished after a quick trip over tomorrow, and on monday the grout should be in. That'll leave only the flooring and a couple of very small details left in the bathroom. After that I can start taking care of the last few odds and ends, and start moving tools home every day since they'll no longer be needed here.

No comments:

Post a Comment