Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Mid March...

Projects at the rental house are coming along pretty well. Here's where everything stands:


The Wood:

Everything has been sanded and stripped for a while now. I've left it unfinished while I work on more important things both at the rental house and in daily life. This week I finally started to finish it. That's important because I really need to know where window trim will be in order to install tile around the vanity, and because that will let me reattach the outside window trim around the other bathroom window. That needs to be in place so painters can caulk and do their thing.

Here it is with 1 coat of shellac above / nothing below.


Three coats on the left and one coat on the right.


I plan on stopping with three coats and giving everything a polyurethane topcoat with a satin finish after that for water resistance. Shellac was a great choice - it gives the wood much more depth than stain and polyurethane would provide. I can see why people don't use it as much anymore though, because it takes a few (quick) coats to look really good. The high price for wood restoration makes a lot more sense now too.


The Closet:

Not terribly exciting... here's what it looked like on Sunday and nothing has changed since then.




Everything Else:

The rest of the bathroom is largely put together now, as hard as it is to believe. All that remains is to do appearance work... tile, trim, flooring and small bits like a towel bar.








I've also finished up a bit more work in other areas. The trim in the laundry room has either one or two coats of paint, depending on the area. And a new light fixture has been put in the entry room.

Also since the last update the water main broke. I turned water on at the street and heard flowing water. Behind me I saw water shooting up a couple of feet in the air. What happened was, the original galvanized water main to the house broke a year and a half ago or so. The previous owner somehow attached 1 1/4 flex PVC to the broken line, then connected it to the 1in copper line going under the house. That isn't a very tight connection so they used some plastic tubing to make up the difference and held it all together with four radiator hose clamps. I don't think any of this was done to code...

My repair was, 1 1/4 flex PVC mates up with 1in white PVC nicely, and regular PVC glue holds it together. Then I used a couple of adapters to get down to 3/4in CPVC. CPVC is on the same size scale that copper is, so I was able to use a gatorbite connector that's 3/4in on one side and 1in on the other to make the connection. Whether my repair is up to code or not, who knows but it's much stronger than what was there before.

No comments:

Post a Comment