Monday, March 26, 2012

Today I used a vacation day from work to try and finish up a few things. I was able to finish ALL the tiling in the vanity area. The only tile work remaining is on the shower. Here's how the left side came out.



I've gotten pretty good at taking pictures that seem different when I'm over there but look remarkably similar on the computer. Tiling this area was MUCH harder than the rest, because in order to make the pattern line up I had to tile above the window, then go down. Gravity likes to move tiles around while the thinset dries, so I had a few rows taped to the ceiling. That was taking way too long, so I made a column of tiles starting from the bottom to see how they would meet, adjusted and worked my way up.


I also had to work on the transition from the bathroom to the former closet. Keeping with the reused / restored theme, I repurposed a piece of a pallet to cover the 2x4 on the ceiling. I'm building up a ledge to fill the gap between the crown molding on the bathroom side and the wood I put in. When that's complete I'm going to paint it all ceiling white.


It'll look a lot better when it's finished.


This evening I rubbed down the trim that's not installed yet, so that tomorrow I can give it a couple of coats of polyurethane. It has to be done because the trim is way too close to the shower. Tomorrow I also plan on hooking up the plumbing to the sink (finally!) and redguard the shower. Within the next couple of days I'll be ready to start tiling in there. Better work on figuring out a color and pattern...

No comments:

Post a Comment