Sunday, June 16, 2024

And Now the Rest of January

 Yep, demo time... I don't like having more than one project open at the same time but this seems to be the only way to get things done around here.



Gotta start this one with the hall. One big thing I noticed is that the subfloor has been replaced here already. Hooray for not falling into the crawlspace! This doesn't mean that it was done particularly well, but at least it's not all rotten and coming to pieces. The bathroom has also been worked on.

 

It was fun having a vanity while it lasted, I guess.
 
 
These floor joists are, uh, not good!

Joist spacing is more than a little off!

Whoever worked on this tried sticking pieces of plywood on top of the rotten joists to try and make up for the height or something. I'm not sure what was going on, but it seems like a lot more work than just replacing the rotten wood.

Still have the header for the old window but the rest is gone.I took out the little part that bumped out into the room on the far right end. I'm not convinced there was always a shower here because a lot of things aren't making sense.

One last thing I forgot to say is that I want this bathroom to look like it was always here. What's the fun of a vintage house if all of it has been removed? Besides, it's only a hall bathroom anyway. To do that I'm using the salvaged cabinets from the house I grew up in, along with blue fixtures and some kind of reproduction wallpaper. Here's the shade I'm going for and can show now that the toilet and sink have arrived.


I like it. Vintage, but not a color that's just crazy hard to work with because this does extend to old looking tile as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment